According to a new study, women who do not take their husbands ‘names are perceived as less committed to the relationship than those who do. Over 90% of married women change their names. Those who do not are the minority.
The divorce rate related to keeping a maiden name is high. 73% of divorce cases happen due to a perceived lack of commitment. Other causes of divorce include; infidelity, financial problems, health concerns, and poor communication. You can get help from a Tacoma divorce attorney regardless of the reason for your divorce.
The following tips may help you stay married for a long time.
1. Get Help if you need it
- If you are going through any challenges in your marriage, it is wise to seek help. Counseling and couples therapy may help save your marriage. You may also seek help from your religious leaders.
2. Be Clear About the Changes You Want
- If you are unhappy about something in your marriage, be clear about it. If you have any grievances, write them down and address all of them. Thinks about personal attributes that you may need to change. Think about your previous relationships and family background. You may have personal attributes that need to change for the improvement of your relationship.
3. Be Open About Your Finances
- Plenty of people divorce because of financial problems. Be open about your financial situation and expectations. Different people have different expectations when it comes to money. You and your partner should discuss your expectations and come to an agreement. You should be on the same page when it comes to budget and debts.
4. Let Go of Old Hurt
If you are holding on to anger and bitterness from previous fights, find a way to get rid of it. Ask your partner if they are holding on to any frustrations and work through them.
- If you have trouble working through your issues, you may seek the help of a counselor. Your goal should be to understand that you are all responsible for the problem and to find ways of solving it.
5. Establish Good Communication Habits
Proper communication is the foundation of all relationships. Establish positive and efficient communication habits. Give each other a chance to talk about your fears, dreams, and insecurities.
- Find time for talking even if you have busy schedules.
6. Give Each Other Space
- Even though it is important to spend time together, you should not smother each other. Understand when your partner needs space and when they need your attention. The secret is to find the perfect balance.
Even though the rate of divorce rate related to keeping the maiden name and other issues is high, you don’t need to be a victim. If, however, you end up getting a divorce, you need the help of a Tacoma divorce attorney. Consider working with Alliance Law Group, PS. The company has a team of experienced and professional lawyers. They will help you through your divorce process. Contact us today and get the help you need.